Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day to all my American Readers

I'm just after coming back from two weeks in Richmond, Virginia. Last Sunday, St. Benedict's Church of that parish finished Mass with a stirring version of "God Bless America" as their recessional hymn. I couldn't help being moved myself, nor did I forbear to join in.

America comes in for a lot of criticism on this side of the Atlantic. Far too much, I believe. Every society has its flaws but I believe the USA has a heck of a lot going from it, from the effusive friendliness that seems to be everywhere ("How are you doing this morning, sir?") to the much more positive attitude towards religion (Christian tracts in the supermarket!).

So God bless America, and to all my American readers-- thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment