Saturday, December 8, 2012

For the Feast of the Immaculate Conception...

...this lively debate between Fr. Mitch Pacwa and Dr. Walter Miller on the place of Mary, on the John Ankerberg Show. I'm not sure what year it comes from but it looks like some time in the early eighties.

As keen as I am on ecunemism, I think it's nice to see this kind of impassioned debate between a Protestant and a Catholic. Sometimes I worry that the united front that Christian churches necessarily present to an increasingly anti-Christian society might lead people to assume that the differences don't matter.

If any disagreements are worth getting impassioned about, surely doctrinal differences are. This need not involve acrimony, of course.

A treasure-house for all things Marian can be found in Mark Shea's trilogy, Mary: Mother of the Son. As well as being instructive, it's a lot of fun to read. It's become one of my very favourite books.

(P.S. I was watching the video as I typed this post, so I only realize now that it seems to end suddenly, with the Protestant theologian making a point and Fr. Mitch not getting to answer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment