Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Trolley Situation in Tesco, Ballymun is Becoming Desperate

I transcribed this notice word-for-word while waiting in the queue in Tesco, Ballymun's main supermarket. My American readers doubtless know that a shopping trolley is what we call a shopping cart. (I didn't have my phone on me to take a snap, and besides I always feel goofy taking phone pictures and drawing everyone's attention. I refuse to subscribe to the "pictures or it didn't happen" philosophy.)

Shopping Trolley Appeal

So far in the last 16 weeks we have lost 471 shopping trollies.

At this stage we are critically low on trollies and will be short for Christmas.

If you are aware of any trollies either in storage or loose in the community, please contact us on 01-8421011 and we will arrange for pick-up.

Thank you.


I don't know why I find the idea of 471 trollies lost in 16 weeks hilarious, but I do. It's like a Battle of the Somme of shopping trollies.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi44s2c-ecs

    I bet you have neighbours just like that too. Mind wouldn't have paid to get the trolley out though. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once, when I was a kid, me and my brother and our three cousins found a trolley and brought it back to Quinnsworth (before it was Tesco) and the duty manager Eugene (a portly, middle-aged guy) gave us a free packet of biscuits as a reward. I know his name because he wrote it on the packet. They were sweet to the taste, I tell you. Not long after we brought another errant trolley back to the same supermarket. There was a younger, hipper looking manager on duty that day. He took the trolley and said, as we looked at him expectantly, "What do you want, a medal?", or something like that. How could anybody be such a rotter to a bunch of kids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to get 10p for every trolley I brought back to Quinnsworth in the early 70's. I made a "fortune" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the crisis is ongoing as they have a new sign up!

    ReplyDelete