Irish Papist

Irish Papist
Statute of the Blessed Virgin in Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Church, UCD Belfield

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Another Fun Breakfast Conversation with my Father

We had been talking about "save-the-dates", which (as you may or may not know-- I didn't know until I heard the term on the US version of The Office) are a kind of pre-invitation that comes before a wedding invitation. We were pondering over this concept, which seems a bit odd to both of us. Yesterday (for a bit of background information) we had been deploring the modern proliferation of acronyms.

My Father (completely innocently): "Of course, they'll probably be calling them STD's soon."
Me (smiling): "I don't think that's going to happen".
My Father: "Why not?"
Me: "Well, STD already means something else."
My Father, after pondering for a few moments: "Oh....single trunk dialling?"

Can you imagine? "Hey, Jill, did you get the STD yet? I thought I gave it to you at the party! Never mind, I'll give it to you later."

No comments:

Post a Comment