Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Irish Times is Indignant

"Anti-abortion pundits have berated the “pro-abortion mainstream media” for “deliberately ignoring” the case because it casts a poor light on abortion. There were even calls and letters in faraway Dublin to this paper demanding to know why we are “suppressing” it, why we cover Savita but not Gosnell, suggesting that we too are part of a liberal media conspiracy."

Perish the thought! How dare they!

How could a story that puts Silence of the Lambs into the shade possibly be worth one tenth of one tenth of one tenth of the coverage afforded the Savita Halapannavar case?

(The word "conspiracy" is a wonderful word to use when you want to make your critics sound like paranoid nutcases. As Peter Hitchens often points out, there is no need to claim a conspiracy in cases like these-- merely a shared prejudice amongst like-minded people in positions of influence, in this case, newspaper editors.)

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure where to put this, but this is an Irish Times (since this post is related to IT I though "Yea ... I'm pushing it, but I'll take my chances!") book review of Garry Willis' "Why Priest? A Failed Tradition."

    link: http://tinyurl.com/bva6e7g

    I stumbled upon the piece when perusing through Arts & Letters - which I found ironic because I was reading reviews of the book, not knowing it was published early this year, and that the article was from an Irish newspaper. That led me here.

    Willis is a proclaimed Catholic, but a liberal one. The Irish Times writer supports Willis' views, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be no indication of who Linda Hogan is, or what her qualifications for commenting upon Willis's claims might be.

    If Willis needs to find a Scriptual basis for priesthood, I would suggest Matthew 16:18: "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I build my church". Or John 21:15-17, where Peter is again given this commission. Or any of the passages in Acts where apostolic succession is given by the laying on of hands. You don't have to be as provocative as Belloc, who said that he would believe the consecrated elements were an elephant if the Church told him so, to accept that the Petrine supremacy means not everything has to be obviously based on Scripture.

    ReplyDelete