Irish Papist

Irish Papist
Statute of the Blessed Virgin in Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Church, UCD Belfield

Monday, March 17, 2014

Read St. Patrick!

For the past three or four years, I've made a St. Patrick's Day tradition of reading the great man's Confessio-- a text I have seen described as the beginning of Irish history, as it is the first Irish text written by an identifiable person. (I'm too lazy to verify that.)

The document is a short one and well worth reading if you want to do something genuinely appropriate to the day. St. Patrick's voice comes to us through the ages-- a humble, pious, determined, very endearing human being.

Today, I found this wonderful site, where you can read various translations of the Confessio, hear an audio version, and more! Have a look!

1 comment:

  1. I actually have his Confessions as a book, but because there are a few books I have in a "To read" pile I haven't gotten around to it yet. I should try and make way for it next St. Patrick's Day at the latest.

    ReplyDelete