Saturday, November 21, 2015

Now On The Radio

I don't think I've mentioned this on this blog yet. I have taken to the airwaves! I am currently contributing a radio show to Radio Maria Ireland, a new venture which is part of the global family of Radio Maria radio stations. Radio Maria Ireland is a pretty limited venture at the moment, and one which is broadcast only on the internet, but I understand that they are hoping to be assigned a frequency on the radio waves soon.

My show is called 'The Adventure of Orthodoxy', and (regular readers will not be surprised to learn) is about G.K. Chesterton. It goes out at seven p.m. on Mondays. The third episode will be broadcast next Monday.

For my first episode was adapted from a talk that I gave to St. Kevin's Literary Society in February. However, I quickly realized that it would be impossible to script a half-hour's talk every week, and that I would have to improvise. I also realized that my first broadcast was rather dry and academic. So, for my second episode, I aimed to be more chatty and direct. For my third episode (which has not yet been broadcast) I begin to talk about Orthodoxy, Chesterton's most famous work. (And, since this is a Catholic radio show, I am going to concentrate on his religious writings-- unlike my column in The Open Door magazine, where I have written about his thought as a whole).

My first few efforts have been pretty fumbling, but I think I'm getting more confident. It's fun.

If anybody wants to listen to it, here is the link:
 

 http://model18.radiomaria.org/la-radio-in-diretta.aspx

4 comments:

  1. That's great news! I'll try and tune in.

    Will the programmes be downloadable as podcasts, do you know? That would be as good for audience numbers, I think, as having an air-wave frequency. I think podcasts are terrific.

    I might say that you could do a lot worse than to read out some of your blog-posts - most of them would make for excellent radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dominic. No, they are not available as podcasts, though the station site says they will make programmes available as downloads if people ask for them. Thanks also for your kind suggestion about previous posts. I have thought of incorporating previous posts and articles, and I might do so. My improvised talks have really suffered from a lack of structure.

    ReplyDelete