Tuesday, April 11, 2017

More on The Devil's Hoof

A little while ago I plugged The Devil's Hoof, a horror story by my friend Jonathan Barry.  Here is an updated list of bookshops where it can be bought (it's not yet available on the internet):

In Easons on O Connell Street, in the Irish Bestsellers section on the ground floor and in the horror section downstairs. It is also for sale in Books Upstairs on D'Olier Street, The Winding Stair Book Shop beside the Halfpenny Bridge, Alan Hanna's Book Shop in Rathmines (beside The Swan Centre), The Hampton Book Shop in Donnybrook village (beside Donnybrook Fare), and in the Rathgar Book Shop in Rathgar Village.



Obviously I want to get behind a friend's literary effort. But I think it's a genuinely good book, and a corrective to a lot of the slick, Buffy-and-Twilight influenced books on the horror shelves now. Nearly every horror novel now seems to be one volume of a series, rather than a standalone story. Also, I'm listed on the acknowledgements page, which was a longstanding ambition of mine. (This is actually the second time I've had that honour-- the first time, it was in Swedish.)

Horror is one of my personal traditions. I can't remember a time when I wasn't a horror fan. Longtime readers will remember the series of horror stories I posted a few years ago. I also started serializing a horror novel which I never finished.

Perhaps some readers might find my taste for horror a stark contrast with my other interests, but for me it is all part of a seamless garment. (Although, as Michael Voris said in one lecture, "I hate even to use that phrase"-- or some such words!)

2 comments:

  1. Have just got the March edition of Annals which has your Yeats article. Not sure if people in Sydney get it quicker than us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have been eagerly looking forward to getting it in the mail. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to write about Yeats in glorious print-- not many editors are keen to have articles about poetry.

      It may take a while to reach Dublin!

      Delete