Sunday, April 2, 2017

My Other Favourite Joke

In a recent post about jokes, I claimed my all-time favourite joke was, "Why do ghouls love demons?". "Because demons are a ghoul's best friend."

Well, it might be. It's endearingly simple, for one thing

But I'm just after remembering another all-time favourite. Since it's a bit involved, I'm going to shamelessly copy and paste it (or my favourite version of it) from another website:

A man went to his dentist because he feels something wrong in his mouth. The dentist examines him and says, "that new upper plate I put in for you six months ago is eroding. What have you been eating?"

The man replies, "all I can think of is that about four months ago my wife made some asparagus and put some stuff on it that was delicious...Hollandaise sauce. I loved it so much I now put it on everything --- meat, toast, fish, vegtables, everything."

"Well," says the dentist, "that's probably the problem. Hollandaise sauce is made with lots of lemon juice, which is highly corrosive. It's eaten away your upper plate. I'll make you a new plate, and this time use chrome." "Why chrome?" asks the patient.

To which the dentist replies, "It's simple. Everyone knows that there's no plate like chrome for the Hollandaise!" 



Apparently Mitt Romney likes this joke too. (Well, a version in which eggs hollandaise are cooked on a hubcab.) The Washington Post columnist who recorded him telling it opined: "The hubcap joke must have killed in Michigan in the 1950s, when Romney was a boy. What’s odd is that he’s still making such jokes. What’s odder is that a man who makes such jokes is in a position to become president of the United States."

I like the idea that my sense of humour would be right at home in fifties Michigan. I'll take that.

When I have time, I will write a long post explaining why I like this joke so much, which will take the reader through a tour of philosophy, psychology, theology, vexillology, and all of the other -ologies.

4 comments:

  1. What do you get if you throw a grenade into a French bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linoleum Blownapart - which still doesn't quite match the sheer audacity of your Hollandaise pun-chline ...

      Delete