Friday, June 16, 2017

Being Right Wing

I've just been pondering the nature of being right-wing. I'm definitely right-wing. You don't have to be right-wing to be a Catholic, a conservative or a traditionalist, but I'm definitely right-wing as well as all those things.

I believe "right-wing" describes something real and permanent. More than anything it describes intolerance-- a healthy intolerance, in my view.

I believe right-wing people are much quicker to "snap" when they are presented with views presented as idealistic or compassionate or sensitive, but which seem bogus to them. And they don't simply reject those views, but do so with a certain disdain and even contempt, and a constant pushing against them.

I'm extremely interested in that snapping point, that moment of decisive rejection. You can tell when anybody has experienced it on a particular subject-- well, I can. At least I think I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment