Monday, April 17, 2017

I Need Losers

Well, I don't need them, but they would be helpful.

I'm working on my book, and one section (I feel) is particularly skimpy-- a section in which I am writing about saints (and blesseds) who, in the eyes of the world, were "losers"-- a term I hate, which is why I chose it. That is, saints who achieved nothing remarkable in the eyes of the world, who had no obvious gifts. I could do with one or two more, preferably more modern ones.

Any thoughts, please feel free to email me at Maolsheachlann@gmail.com. Or leave a comment, but I hope you're not offended if I don't publish it. I want to keep my project a little bit under wraps, after all!

6 comments:

  1. Seamus, thanks for your suggestions for "loser saints", I really appreciate it. I already had a couple you mentioned, the others don't really fit what I'm looking for....it's something very specific and maybe it's too specific! It's more lack of outward achievement or ability rather than misfortune or obscurity per se. From the couple of responses I got, I don't think I conveyed myself well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seamus, thanks for those two suggestions, the first one is exactly what I'm talking about and I think I'll use that. The second is more like heroic misfortune, although there is an element of that in the first too...I really appreciate the help, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should probably just generally look up lay -brother saints, as a lot were lay -brothers for that very reason, they didn't have the capacity study for the priesthood...a bit different in our day when religious need to have all sorts of degrees. Pascal Baylon is one largely forgotten in thy post-Vatican council church.
    On a slightly different note-my father turned 82 today, St Laserian's day, which is his middle name. He was baptized at St Andrew's Westland Row near the hospital the same day as his mother thought he looked sickly...she herself died relatively young at 60-imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your father! And thank God his apparent sickliness turned out to be deceptive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and there is St Zita. But she may have had a talent for cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. someone brought a young saint to my attention who might fit. Nuntius-feast May the fifth

    ReplyDelete