Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Lost and Found

I had this interaction with a student today.

Student: Do you have a lost and found?

Me: Yes.

Student: I lost some glasses.

Me (already walking to the lost and found): Can you tell me anything more about them?

Student: They were wine glasses.

Me (doing a double-take): Uh...

Student: They had a wine-coloured frame.

Me: Gotcha.

Language is a funny thing. 

It might be considered strange that a student would have a set of wine glasses in the library, but it wouldn't be that strange. Despite the ban on food, we tend to ignore students sucking on lozenges or discreetly munching an apple. But the day a delivery guy turned up with a pizza, which had been ordered by a student, has gone down in legend-- at least, for me it has.

2 comments:

  1. what did you do about it?
    the pizza, I mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't actually there at the time. I remember the email which recounted it said the person on duty "exercised their discretion" but I don't know what that means. I can't imagine anyone being allowed to eat pizza in the library. Maybe they were paged over the intercom or something.

      Delete